Want to see a specific category? Contact rusty.
Side Match
  • I look forward to trying one of your repeaters Doc
  • I'm marking up my calendar for the next few months and am not certain of the date we are going to try doing this.
    Are we going for the regular 3rd Sunday of May?
  • I will approach the mother club and the Black Powder Discipline to officially get the third Sunday in May. But I have talked, informally, with the Black Powder Discipline leader and he says we can have it. So, to answer your question, I would be planning to have this on the third Sunday in May. Tomorrow, as soon as I have finished changing the oil in the Shelby, I intend to work on this special match, in order to get some of it down on paper so I can do target inventory and check if we have enough stands for paper targets etc. I hope to have something to talk about this Sunday, at the match. I am planning on some different prizes for the opportunity drawing at the May match as well. Stuff more in line with rifle caliber repeaters and long range shooting. I sure hope to see you Sunday!

My Best
    Doc
  • Why is the BP range need'd?
    Can't everything be shot on the main rifle range?
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like lose'n 2 good men
  • Thanks Doc, I have marked my Calendar.

Doc I have a 6 target dueling tree I can bring if you think you could use it.
  • We don't need the Black Powder Range, we need the Black Powder Discipline leader's permission to use that day. It is usually the last day of their annual Rendezvous and we just need to get their go ahead. Then, we need to get our match on the official schedule.
    Grumpy, I don't think that I will be needing the dueling tree for this match, but we should plan on putting it to use in an upcoming regular match. Maybe a man on man stage.

All My Best
    Doc
  • Ok, Doc, sounds good.
  • AH, OK-Now I gets'ya.
    Is the rendezvous even be'n held?
    LG
  • O.K. guys Let me know what you think.
    THE FIRST EVER, HIGH DESERT COWBOYS, LONG RANGE SIDE MATCH EXTRAVAGANZA!

Shooters can test their long range prowess in the following categories:
    1-Pistol Caliber Rifle, 100 yards on steel.
    2-Rifle Caliber Repeater, 200 yards on steel
    3-Single Shot, "Buffalo Rifle", 300 yards on steel
    4-Single Shot, "Buffalo Rifle", at 400 yards on steel
    5-Main Match Pistols at 50 yards on steel
    In all five categories, shooters are allowed twenty minutes to shoot unlimited sighters and then, ten rounds for score. Shooters score is the total number of the ten rounds that hit anywhere on the steel target. Spotters are welcome.

In addition, shooters can participate in:
    6-Sighting in Station, for rifles of all types, on paper bullseye, at 200 yards. Any shooter can take a full twenty minutes to fire as many rounds as desired to find their dope at this station.
    7-Rifle Caliber Repeater or Single Shot "Buffalo Rifle", from sitting or prone, with, or without, Crossed Sticks on paper bullseye, at 200 yards. Shooters have twenty minutes to fire ten rounds for score. No sighters will be allowed in this category, spotters welcome. This category will be scored by group size. The smallest group of five holes from the ten possible hits will be scored.

All ammunition will be lead bullets only. No jacketed or plated bullets allowed. There will be no maximum velocity limitations for this match.

This is where I am at right now. I would need help with spotting scopes or binoculars. I was planning on cutting as large a circle as I can from black poster board for the bullseyes, hopefully I can get 18" or more from one sheet, and maybe covering the cardboard of the target backers with white paper, for contrast. Maybe somebody has a line on good sized pieces of white cardboard? If we set up two shooting positions, benches, for each category, we are using eleven benches and one spot in the sand area for sitting or prone. I am currently shying away from a Derringer stage as that has different requirements and logistics than these stages do. Main Match Pistols will be shot at what? Is the Buffalo target too big? Maybe the big jug? Somebody print this out so we can discuss it tomorrow, in case I can't figure out how to make this dad burned printer work.

Doc
  • Sounds like a good plan.
    Please confirm that 1-5 will be from the benches.
    LG
  • Im excited about the whole thing! Sounds great!
  • I have 6 wood frame paper target stands for May match. Sorry to say I won't be able to make the match today, family in town at last minute.
    Heath Montgomery
  • Since quite a few do not use the forum I can post the final format on the website and send out a club newsletter with the same information. Do we need custom score sheets for the event? I think so.
  • I would think so. You'll need to get with Doc. on the details.
    LG
  • I believe i overheard them scheming on it at the match yesterday... either that or they were talking about you... again. Lol
  • Rusty Im good with scratch marks in the dirt, if i was conserned with my scores id have curled up in corner long ago, im sure whatever is agreed upon will be just fine by me. I really appreciate your working on it for all of us.
  • Scratch marks in the dirt....hmm, now I may work with that idea somehow.
  • Hi guys! I hope that you are all doing well and are having nothing but great days. I want to make a couple of announcements and hope that you guys will spread the word. First off, I apologize, but I must postpone the May Long Range Match. I will be in Texas that week, to attend a graduation ceremony and all of it's related celebrations. Wendy's youngest has just graduated from Lineman School, and his promised gal is about to graduate law school. Please don't consider this a cancellation, but rather a delay. We will find a suitable time to hold this match at the other end of summer. Maybe October we could do this match instead of our regular monthly match.

Secondly, I ran into Tumbleweed at the Lancaster Gun Show. He looks real good. He is very trepidatious about shooting with us because of the neuropathy he is experiencing. I told him that if he didn't feel that he could shoot safely, he was more than welcome to just come out and hang with us or meet with us at La Cabana after any match. He wanted me to send you all his best.

Lastly, I would like to ask if Lumpy would measure the diameter of the black on one of his 200 or 300 yard targets that he shoots with his Sharps. I have found some black poster board and can get a twenty inch circle out of one sheet. That should be big enough for two hundred yards, or maybe even more!

My Best
    Doc

• Hey Doc-You may well not want to return to PRK after see'n Texas.
    200yd =11.790" dia.
    300yd =17.850" dia.
    400yd =23.580" dia.
    500yd =30.00" dia.
    600yd =36.00"dia.
    If you can round up to 12" and 18" for 200 & 300 yd, you'll be fine.
    FWIW: Try'n to see even .45 cal holes in paper at 300yds, can be very difficult with even the smallest amount of mirage present.
    LG

• Sorry to hear about the postponement but I understand and hope you have a good time.

Why not put 5 or six steel targets all bunched up in a crowd so we can hear a hit?
    (for me, we need a large crowd...)

• I'm sorry you guys but I blew it and didn't check the calendar far enough ahead, my bad. Thanks for the bulls eye dimensions lumpy. Are those standard targets that I could purchase a few of for this match? I say this match because we are definitely doing this, just not in May. I hear you Grumpy but never fear. We will get you on paper at 100 and 200 yards before we set you loose on the steel. That's what I'll be doing anyway! I made the announcement at the last match as well. Do you think that something like this would go over well as a replacement for the October match? Think on it.

My Best
    Doc
  • Doc-Std. NRA slow fire rifle targets.
    Don't try to 'read' paper past 300yds.
    Here's a GREAT outfit to deal with for targets.
    http://www.americantargetcompany.com/
    When are you tak'n a sic-day so we can dial your toy in?????????????
    LG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!