Want to see a specific category? Contact rusty.
Rank or Time Scoring
  • Thought I would throw this out there. Should I continue to post scores by Time or should I instead use Rank? I noticed the order would have changed for April's shoot.
  • Time only-
    Both Barbara and I hate 'rank' scoring.
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like lose'n 2 good men
  • I don't know the difference since I'm always at the bottom...
    I'm for whatever the majority likes.
  • If you don't shoot all the time with a club. Rank scoring will really hurt your standings.
    Many times we have been faster in time at other clubs. But-because we don't shoot there every 2 weeks or so. We have been pushed down the list by folks with higher rank points, but slower times.
    IMO-Rank scoring should be done away with!
    LG
  • Rank only applies on the immediate match. You simply add the rank you came in at for each stage. Ex.

Stage 1 you shot 2nd
    Stage 2 you shot 4th
    Stage 3 you shot 1st
    Stage 4 you shot 15th

Your overall match rank would be 22nd. Lowest rank wins etc.
  • Your time should be all that counts!
    LG
  • I like time also. Being the democratic sort (not to be confused with the party) that I am I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • Rank points serve no function at all. They can(and has)cause shooters to place lower in the overall scores, irregardless of the actual times.
    It needs to be done away with--
    LG
  • Post scores both ways, so one can see.
    LG
  • I'm just happy to be allowed to take a turn.

I get excited on a clean stage. I've never shot a clean match yet.

Still, scoring is important for any sport I'm just not as motivated by scores in my old age.
    lol
  • Fair scoring is what I do care about-
    Ranks points don't cut it.
    LG
  • I've never paid much attention to anything other than hits/misses and times. Ranking was something I didn't understand so I tossed it out.

I agree "fair" is paramount in any scored sport no matter what.
  • I agree with Lumpy, print it both ways so those who have a preference can see it their way.

Doc
  • I can do the double posting for June. don't forget I wont be there so send them to me.
  • THX Rusty.
    LG
  • We appreciate your work Rusty!
  • Hi Rusty,
    We missed you at the Father's Day match yesterday. It was great fun. I sent the scores out in this mornings mail. Grumpy want me to do a couple of plugs for participation on the forums. Any advice or conversation on how best to do that?

My Best
    Michael
  • Rusty is in Co. kick'n arse at Cortez .
    LG
  • I posted the scores. Rather than post two different tables you can simply look at the Rank column in the Final section to the right of you alias. You will see how the order would be different if using Rank. For June there were differences.
  • Now you all have me curious. I usually just ignored the Rank as I'm usually dead last or as good as dead last. But when Lumpy spoke up against it it got we wondering about it.

What is Rank and how does it work or how is it supposed to work? If I shoot among 10 shooters how to I get a rank of 20 something? No big deal, just being curious.
  • Hi Grumpy! My understanding is like this. If, with ten shooters, you finished stage one in 5th place, Rank score of 5, then, really had trouble on the next couple of stages, with a finish of 10th in stage 2 and 9th in stage three. Then you pulled it all together and finished 1st in stage four, you would end up with an overall rank of the sum total of the four stage ranks, in this case your rank score would be 25. Since there are many possible ways to add up four numbers, from one to ten, that total 25, a tie rank score would be broken by total time. While I never look at rank score to see where I finished, rank scoring is how I measure my consistency. I try to look at it like shooting a small group at a 100 yard target. It is better to shoot a four shot group that is five inches in diameter, which isn't all that small, than it is to shoot one perfectly centered bull's-eye then one off the edge of the paper then one in the nine ring then one in the six ring. I could be completely full of beans however! At least now you can see that in a match with ten shooters and four stages a person could end up with a rank score of 40. I believe that rank scoring is only used at very large events so you won't have to deal with it here.

Best Regards
    Michael
  • Ok, very well explained. I think I understand the mechanics of it now.
    The target example pulled it into clarity for me. Thanks.
  • Doc you would have had second place on Sunday if we used rank scoring. ;)
  • Nobody can miss five in one stage and come in second! That was an absolute disaster!

Doc
  • How about the shooter that had 14 misses, and came in first over-all.
    =))

LG
  • It was a tough day. And no La Cabana afterwards to ease the pain!
  • Howdy yall
  • Happy Easter Curly. Find any eggs?
  • hey curly! good to see you here!
  • Howdy Curly! Glad you could make it!

Doc
  • Rusty had to show me what I was doing wrong when posting before.
  • Sure is good to see you here Curly. Wish we could get more HDC folks to post here.
    LG
  • Thanks lumpy!!
  • Look'n forward to the chaos and fun we will have at the RRBar, 'Crap Shoot' come'n up in April.
    LG
  • Does anyone have or know of any25 20 brass?
  • Curly-Not a clue...
    LG
  • Midwayusa web page has them.
  • GOOD FIND- Grumpy!
    LG
  • This is a good bit cheaper-Looks like it might be in stock also.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601362546/remington-reloading-brass-25-20-wcf
    LG
  • dont know if the single shot brass will work in a lever gun
  • Curly-Me either???
    LG
  • my son found 50 loaded rounds in hie safe plus he has 100 emptys since he doesnt shoot cowboy that is probably enough
  • COOL!
    What's this ammo for?
    LG
  • An old Winchester from my daughter in laws great grampaws from Argentina.
  • I wanna see it... ;)
  • I will see if I can borrow it some time at a shoot.
  • Bring it out to Crap Shoot for 'show-n-tell'. :D
    LG
  • see if i can

• =D>

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!