Want to see a specific category? Contact rusty.
Questions on a used MEC Sizemaster 77
  • I'm picking up a used Sizemaster 77 from a guy next week. It is missing the primer feed assembly. Anyone know if I can manually add the primers? I've been looking at the recipes on the Alliant website. I am just about out of Trail boss, so at Lumpy's recommendation thinking of giving Unique a try so I can use it for my .38s and the shotgun shells. There seems to be a pretty good variance on pressures based on primer type. What primers are you using or recommend? Shot size? Shot payload weight? The standard looks like the AA wads, anyone have a preference on any other type? Thanks for the input.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?
    -Homer Simpson

"Hence it comes that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed."
    -Machiavelli
  • At SASS load levels. Primers are not a real world issue.
    I use the primers I get the cheapest.....
    Order ALL of my reloading supplies from here.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Have no clue about the MEC 77. Have never heard of that one.
    Maybe call MEC on Monday

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/shotshell-reloaders

Look for reclaimed shot. Way cheaper than new.

LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n 2 good men
  • Is the reclaimed shot ok for the bore?
    -Homer Simpson

"Hence it comes that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed."
    -Machiavelli
  • I use 1 oz wads and put a little less than an ounce of shot. Also used reclaimed.
  • Ok reclaimed are you buying regraphited?
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • Yes. It’s pretty clean
  • Visit trap and skeet ranges in your area to see if they sell reclaimed shot.
    LG
  • I found one in Redlands, not too far away for me. I will pick up 50 lbs when I go to my duck club.
    Have you guys done any non-toxic loading? Bismuth, hevi-shot or steel? I think I will need some mods to the press for non-toxic.
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • I only load lead, as it's buy far the cheapest.
    LG
  • Yeah the other stuff is a ripoff' I wouldn't think if shooting non-toxic for any sort of non hunting application. Unfortunately, I am even going to have to shoot dove and quail with non-toxic shot this year.
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • Loader is pretty clean and seems to cycle well. Guessing from the price list that came with the original instruction manual, at the age, (they wanted $4.99 for a charge bar then, they go for $28 now) I'm thinking this thing is at least 30 years old. The bar and bushing it came with will give me 11/8 ounce load and 21.2 grains of Unique. That seems like a generic store bought AA light load recipe. What loads are you all making? I will buy a universal charge bar if I need to change, they are about $50 or else, everytime I change the load, I have to spend $28 for a new bar plus a bushing. Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • Hey Rusty, can we embed images here?
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • GOGGLE adjustable powder/shot bars for MEC.
    I load 17.5 gns of Unique with 3/4-1oz of shot.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Universal-Charge-Bar-C-single-stage-w_Powder-Baffle/productinfo/2100001/

BTW-You use copper anti-seize, to lube the 'fingers' of the sizing collet.

LG
  • Thanks for the tip on the anti seize. I'll pick some up at NAPA.
    Your recipe looks like it would be less recoil. I will copy it.
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • Has less recoil than W-W Featherlites.
    Unique is a slower burning powder, so you don't have the recoil 'snap' like 700-X and the like.
    FWIW-I have never, ever, seen a MEC bushing throw what it says it should.
    Put the adjustable bar on my 600jr about 25 yrs ago-Could not be more pleased.
    LG
  • Agree on the adjustable powder bar. Set it and forget it.
  • Ordering the adjustable bar today. Sorry Rusty, I am saving my hulls from here on out.
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli
  • You can always go to a trap range and check the trash cans for hulls.
    LG
  • Lol. I have never run out of hulls. But I’ll take the apology anyway
  • Happy Independence Day gentlemen!
    -Homer Simpson

-Machiavelli

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!